Friday 22 October 2010

How do you do that?

I'm occasionally asked how I achieved a certain result given the prohibitive conditions at the time, so I thought it about time I revealed a few of the techniques I use.
This image taken on Skye on a grey day in December 2008 was achieved using a method called exposure blending. The camera was set up on a tripod, in manual mode and 5 exposures taken, from well over exposed to well under exposed.






After processing in Lightroom with no adjustments, they were blended together using Photomax Pro. This gives a result which is far from finished, but a glance at the histogram tells me that I have all the detail in shadows and highlights and therefore have everything I need to make a half way decent picture.



The final image after a bit of retouching in lightroom and photoshop